Thursday, June 26, 2008

Glow ball Warning!

Oh Yotsuba! How we enjoy your adventures!

Written by Kiyohiko Azuma, Yotsuba is manga about a young girl growing up and learning all about the world around her through all sorts of funny adventures. Everything and anything becomes exciting when Yotsuba is around.

Lucy says: I think it is really nice, but I'm going to snatch it out of your hands. I like it.

What Taran has to say: Yotsuba's adventures make me laugh so hard I might even turn into a glow ball.

Kimba's take: Yotsuba is witty and silly and I enjoy reading it again and again. The three of us went through the first 3 volumes in just 24 hours. Every now and again one of us will say a one-liner from the comic and burst out laughing. Yotsuba's innocence and enthusiasm are delightful. The author does an amazing job capturing a believable young person on the pages of this comic.

This is a light-hearted romp and I would recommend it to just about anyone. I know of young children, pre-teen boys and girls and adults who are all big fans of Yotsuba. I guess she and her co-stars are fun for everyone.

Some interesting discussions about various topics have ensued: parenting and respect (or lack thereof) that adults give to children, Japanese culture, orphans, cicadas, global warming, zoos, fireworks, genetic variation, humor, fear, buses and favorite movies and their dialogue.


***Glow Ball Warning refers to a mispronunciation of Yotsuba's involving global warming.

2 comments:

GBK Gwyneth said...

Hey - You haven't sent me that list!

I have started reading manga -- I'm reading Dororo right now. I had a dream it would be amovie, and look, it is to be one!

I hope to see you tomorrow; I have a million questions.

Lesley said...

Followed your link on Shine and I'm so glad I did! Yotsuba looks like a great manga for my family to enjoy. I'll be referring back to your blog when I'm looking for others! So cool!