Saturday, December 8, 2007

One Piece


Our first item up for review is one the whole family has enjoyed reading, acting out and creating new adventures for (by making our own comics and play acting) . The story is quite compelling and, well I'll let the reviewers do their magic...


One Piece
by Eiichiro Oda

Taran says: 7 thumbs up = super comic (originally it was stated that there being only 3 reviewers one could not possibly exceed 6 thumbs up, but Taran argued an elegant case for One Piece). Zolo (or Roronoa Zoro -- he is referred to as both in the Manga and in the cartoons) is really cool - his favorite character other that scaredy Usopp. It's awesome. Taran states that he likes the comic because pirates are a favorite of his and Luffy is a giggle bug (really funny).

Lucy says: I like Nami (the navigator) and I like the comic book. Oh and I like Luffy.

What Kimba has to say: One Piece has a fun storyline and the characters are interesting (both visually and through personal growth). I especially enjoy Monkey D. Luffy and his antics. Actually the relationship between Monkey and Red Haired Shanks is one of my favorite parts -- when will they meet up again?!

Now I'm going to throw a little Mom action into the post. This is a violent comic (Shonen after all) -- the characters beat on each other quite a bit (though some of their attacks are very clever). I'm amazed, though, that very few deaths (I can only think of 2) occur; mainly they vanquish their foes (with much bluggeoning involved) and everyone rests up. The language is harsh at times and there is a gross factor (not a problem at our house...except for the Buggy the pirate clown for -- me).

We found our selves discussing a variety of topics thanks to One Piece: Vikings, honor, the meaning of "treasure", the circus, language use, animal treatment, maritime history, military history, weaponry (manufacture and history), fashion, and more.


2 comments:

Jessica said...

What a cool idea. I will definitely be checking back in to find out the latest on "the good stuff".
~Jessica

Unknown said...

Thanks Jessica!

The kids and I are having fun deciding on the next idea.